Thursday, April 22, 2010

New Spell Idea

Telecanter's Receding Rules blog has this post about Fairy Tale story titles making great spell names. And he's right, they're very evocative. So I thought I'd try my hand at one:

The Story of the Wind
4th Level Druid Spell
Range: 0
Duration: Instantaneous
Effect: special

This spell must be cast outdoors. When the spell is cast, the wind begins to pick up and as it does so, it begins to moan with a haunting voice. The wind can answer a single yes or no question that pertains to the natural world in the particular region the spell is cast (DM discretion as to details).

I don't know if that's any good or not - but I'm thinking about giving all the spells in the Daen Ral game new, evocative names...

Anyway, here are the other titles he posted:


  • The Palace of Revenge
  • The Prince of Leaves
  • The Fortunate Punishment
  • The Impossible Enchantment
  • The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs
  • The Bright Sun Brings It to Light
  • The Crumbs on the Table
  • The Thorny Road of Honor
  • The Last Dream of the Old Oak
  • The Story of the Wind
  • Beauty of Form and Beauty of Mind
  • The Storm Shakes the Shield
  • Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What

  • I really want to come up with some alternate Quest/Geas spell for that last one, but I'm at a loss for details...

    No comments: