Tuesday, July 20, 2010

xd6 Skill Resolution

I read here the other day - G Benedicto talking about ability checks based on rolling d6's (which makes sense since ability scores are based on 3d6) which basically looks like this:

  • 1 (E) Easy: Roll 2d6*
  • 2 (S) Standard: Roll 3d6
  • 3 (D) Difficult: Roll 4d6
  • 4 (V) Very Difficult: Roll 5d6
  • 5 (A) Arduous: Roll 6d6
  • 6 (N) Nigh-Impossible: Roll 7d6
Cyclopetron posted his ideas for this here regarding dual attribute ability checks (using the usually-orphaned d12) which looks like this:

  • Easy: 2d12
  • Standard: 3d12
  • Difficult: 4d12
  • Very Difficult: 5d12
  • Arduous: 6d12
  • Nigh-Impossible: 7d12
So Jim at carjacked seraphim puts this together:



One Ability
Two Abilities (summed)
(E) Easy
Roll 2d6
Roll 4d6
(S) Standard
Roll 3d6
Roll 6d6
(D) Difficult
Roll 4d6
Roll 8d6
(V) Very Difficult
Roll 5d6
Roll 10d6
(A) Arduous
Roll 6d6
Roll 12d6
(N) Nigh-Impossible
Roll 7d6
Roll 14d6


And so I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in on this, too. First, I think I'd limit ability checks to a single attribute, I think trying to figure out which two attributes are being checked gets terribly complicated. So the complicated long jump, oil flask thing that cyclopetron was talking about - well, I'd probably pick either strength or dexterity but make it either Arduous or Nigh Impossible (depending on exactly what he's wanting to do). Granted, you could call it either of those and use the two stats (str & dex) and have roughly the same chance to succeed.

So, I think I'd stick with the original list - though I might add a couple more categories. Here's why:

There might be opportunities for two or more characters to combine a single attribute to attempt something - especially strength (can't think of any other attributes that can be combined off the top of my head, but I'll come up with something...). So a huge bolder could be moved by three or four characters combining their strength and rolling against xd6.

  • 1 (E) Easy: Roll 2d6*
  • 2 (S) Standard: Roll 3d6
  • 3 (D) Difficult: Roll 4d6
  • 4 (V) Very Difficult: Roll 5d6
  • 5 (A) Arduous: Roll 6d6
  • 6 (N) Nigh-Impossible: Roll 7d6
  • 7 (H) Hopeless: Roll 8d6
  • 8 (R) Ridiculous: Roll 9d6
  • 9 (T) Titanic: 10d6
But...if three or more are combining their abilities, even 10d6 becomes just an average challenge (since three characters represent 9d6 in their ability scores and four 12d6). Then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing - since the idea of combining abilities would be to make a task easier.

And, of course, if I go this way, I'll completely have to ditch my last "skill resolution" ideas. But that's what this blog is all about, brainstorming the rules...





No comments: